Ashley over at Our Little Apartment wrote a great post last week about what she loves about where she lives. She encouraged others to share what they love about their towns and I thought it would make a great post!
This month marks three years that Erik and I have lived in Westchester County, NY. For reference, Westchester is two counties north of Manhattan. There’s Manhattan, then the Bronx, and then Westchester. Westchester is actually an enormous county, with almost one million residents and it takes approximately an hour to drive from the southern border to the northern border.
We originally moved to Westchester because it’s where Erik’s job was at the time, and since I was unemployed, there was nothing keeping us in the city. I was devastated to leave, but I knew financially it was the most responsible decision. Although I liked our little town when we first moved here, I didn’t really like Westchester that much. We had no friends and I had no idea where anything was or what there was to do here.
Needless to say, things made a change for the better during our second year, and our third year has definitely been the best yet. Our lease ends next fall, for a total of four years, and there’s still a chance that we’ll stay beyond that depending on whether or not we can find a place to buy. Although it’s not perfect (it’s, um, really freaking expensive), there’s a lot to love about Westchester.
What I Love About Westchester
- It has every type of cuisine, independent theaters and lots of cultural events, and is filled with small towns home to mom n’ pop shops.
- There are also remote areas where it feels like it’s hundreds of miles away from civilization.
- It’s driving distance to several major cities — less than an hour to NYC, three hours to Boston and Philadelphia, and five hours to D.C.
- It’s the location of the actual Sleepy Hollow (yes, it’s a real place)
- Did I mention it’s less than an hour to NYC? The greatest city in the world (IMO)? And it costs less and is less stressful than actually living in NYC?
What I Love About Our Town
- It has a cute downtown with a variety of restaurants (Asian, seafood, pizza, even raw vegan!), cute boutiques, and the best ice cream parlor ever.
- The town park is beautiful and enormous, and right next door to the famous Rye Playland! It’s also along the Long Island Sound where you can get some pretty amazing views.
- There are a lot of flat, well-lit roads to run on! Unfortunately the sidewalks leave much to be desired, but overall it’s a great place to run.
- There is a real sense of community — there’s an annual town sidewalk sale, several seasonal festivals, and a community “Best Of” award show. There are town talent shows and art exhibits… It’s kind of like Stars Hollow (if Stars Hollow was populated by the 1%…)
- The homes are gorgeous… and sickeningly expensive but we try to ignore that.
What I Love About Our Apartment
- Despite only being 660 sq. feet, it has a huge living room which lets us host parties quite comfortably. (And I LOVE hosting parties!)
- We have a breakfast nook that fits a second dining table, so we have lots of room to spread out.
- Our closet space is actually pretty good (although you can never have enough!).
- Our building has many other young couples so we are friends with several of our neighbors.
- It is right across the street from the train station, which makes getting into NYC very convenient!